Employee Workday Help

Your Paycheck and Payslip

Last updated Monday, April 8, 2024

On This Page:

Accessing and Understanding Your Workday Payslip

Follow the below steps to access your payslips in Workday; note that access to Workday requires you to be enrolled in Duo, the UW’s two-factor authentication (2FA) solution.

  1. Sign into Workday via the Sign in to Workday link at the top right of this page.
  2. In the upper left corner of Workday, select Menu > Pay.
  3. In View section, select the Payslips button.
  4. On the next screen, locate the payslip you want to access, and select the View button; to print it, select the Print button.

Visit the How to Read Your Payslip page for help understanding the information that appears on your payslip.


First things first – Make sure your current home address is correct in Workday!

Also, please consider changing to direct deposit to ensure prompt payment every payday.

If you do choose to receive a paper check, it should arrive at your home address on payday. If you do not receive your paper paycheck within two business days, please check with the HCM Initiate 2 or Time and Absence Initiate in your unit. You can also contact the Payroll Office for help.

Note that, if you do not have either a) direct deposit or b) an address listed in Workday where your paycheck can be mailed, you will need to pick up your paycheck in person at the Payroll Office. You’ll need to present photo ID.

If you are currently receiving a paper check, please consider changing to direct deposit to ensure prompt payment every payday—and for your added convenience. In Workday, you can split your direct deposit among up to three different bank accounts.

Still have questions?

Correcting Your Paycheck

If you think you’ve been either overpaid or underpaid, take the following steps; your department can assist you, if need be:

Once you’ve confirmed an error in your pay, your department must submit a request to the Payroll Office to correct the overpayment or underpayment.

  • If you discover an overpayment on your paycheck, you are required to notify your department immediately. A series of state and federal regulations govern the overpayment process; as a state agency, the University of Washington is required by law to recover overpaid funds.

Note for Medical Center Employees
If you feel your payslip is incorrect, review the information in Kronos and the Exception Schedule. If you need help, contact your Payroll Specialist in Med Centers Payroll Services.

Requesting a Replacement Check

Replacement checks can be issued when a paycheck is lost or stolen, damaged, or dated more than six months ago.

If the payday was recent and you receive a paper check, your paycheck may still be in the mail. You may wish to verify the mailing address you have specified in Workday for accuracy.

To request a replacement check, contact the Payroll Office with the subject line “Cancel/Reissue” and include the following information:

  • Your name
  • Your preferred contact information
  • Payday date (can be found in Workday)
  • Net amount of check (can be found in Workday)
  • The reason why the replacement check is needed

Note for Medical Center Employees
Request a replacement check by contacting Medical Centers Payroll Services.

Understanding Your Paycheck Deductions

Deductions from your paycheck can be either:

  • Voluntary – These are deductions you have elected and agreed to have withheld from your paycheck, such as benefits premiums and retirement contributions.
  • Involuntary – These are deductions mandated by federal or state government or the courts to be withheld from your paycheck.

Other Voluntary Deductions

Apart from your benefits premiums and retirement plan contributions, the Voluntary Deductions summarized below are handled by various UW departments and initiated in Workday by them. For questions involving these Voluntary Deductions, contact the department listed in the Contact Information column.

Deduction Type Deduction Department Contact Information
Transportation Campus U-Pass & Parking Transportation Services 206-221-3701; ucommute@uw.edu
Transportation HMC U-Pass & Parking HMC Parking Office 206-744-3254; hmcpark@uw.edu
Transportation Bothell Campus Parking Bothell Parking 425-352-3246; uwb-trans@uw.edu
Transportation Tacoma Campus Parking Tacoma Parking Office 253-692-5926; uwtpark@uw.edu
Unions Union Dues Unions Contact your Union Representative directly if you have questions.
Other Husky Card Husky Card Office 206-543-9537; huskycrd@uw.edu
Other UW Gift Account UW Gift Account Office 206-685-9248; payrgift@uw.edu
Other PSO (Professional Staff Org.) PSO 206-543-4340; psoboard@uw.edu
Other AAUP AAUP 206-543-4793; uwaap@uw.edu
Other IMA Recreational Sports Program IMA Office 206-616-1142; ima@uw.edu
Other Sports Tickets UW Tickets Office 206-543-2200; tickets@uw.edu
Other CFD (Combined Fund Drive Office) UW CFD Office 206-616-3678; uwcfd@uw.edu

Involuntary Deductions

The University is required by law to deduct funds from your paycheck when directed to do so by a Withholding Order received from a government agency or court. These deductions may include:

  • Garnishments
  • Child Support
  • Employment Security
  • Educational Loans
  • Chapter 13
  • Labor and Industry
  • Office of Finance Recovery
  • Internal Revenue Service

If you have questions regarding a Withholding Order, contact the agency responsible for the deduction or refer to the legal document you received.

If you did not receive a legal document, contact the agency to make sure that they have your correct address on file. Any Withholding Order documentation that the UW is required to send to an employee must be sent to the address provided by the agency, not to the employee’s address which is on file with the UW.

The Payroll Office does not provide copies of withholding order documents.

Changes to amounts deducted must come by notification from the agency or court. If, after contacting the agency or upon inspection of the legal document, you believe that the deduction is incorrect, contact the Payroll Office for further review.

Accessing Your Pre-Workday Payslips

You can find your payslips for paydays prior to June 27, 2017 in Legacy ESS. Note that only your June 15, 2017 payslip will display YTD totals.

Access to Legacy ESS requires UW NetID credentials and enrollment in Duo, UW’s two-factor authentication (2FA) solution.

Duo Eligibility For Former Employees
Former Employees are eligible to enroll in Duo through the remainder of the year in which they left the University, plus three years.

For example, an employee who left the UW in November of 2020 will be eligible for Duo through the remainder of 2020, all of 2021, 2022, and 2023; after 2023, they are no longer eligible.

If you are outside of the Duo eligibility window, refer to the Resources For Former Employees page for guidance.

Take me to Legacy ESS