Employee Workday Help

Obtaining An SSN or ITIN

Last updated Tuesday, September 13, 2022

How to Apply

IRS regulations require Foreign Nationals to have either a Social Security number (SSN) or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) in order to receive any tax treaty benefits.

Applying for An SSN

Applying for An ITIN

If you are unable to apply for an SSN, Foreign National students on an F or J visa type should apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).

All other visa types should work with the UW Tax Office to obtain the documentation needed to apply for an ITIN.

After Receiving Your Social Security Number or ITIN…

1. Present your Social Security Card/ITIN letter to your department’s HCM Initiate 2 so they can update your Workday profile accordingly.

2. If you are a student, present your Social Security Card/ITIN letter to the UW Registrar’s Office, 2nd Floor of Schmitz Hall, so they can update your student record.

3. Enter your SSN/ITIN into Glacier Tax Compliance to re-determine your tax status and tax treaty eligibility. In turn, Glacier Tax Compliance will generate your updated tax forms, including the tax treaty documents if applicable, for you to print and sign.

4. Send a new Glacier packet to the ISC Payroll Office including a copy of your SSN card or ITIN letter. Refer to Accessing Glacier Tax Compliance and Assembling Your “Glacier Packet” for guidance.

  • Failure to notify your department and/or the Registrar’s Office may lead to you being incorrectly taxed.