Employee Workday Help

Certificate of Foreign Status

Last updated Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Payments made to a “foreign national non-resident alien for tax purposes” who performs services outside of the United States are not subject to federal Withholding tax, Social and Medicare tax, nor is there any U.S. reporting obligation. In order to certify that they are not a U.S. citizen or resident of the U.S., the foreign national will need to follow the below steps.

  1. Download and complete the Certificate of Foreign Status and Activities/Services Performed Outside of the United States (PDF) form.
  2. Locate and make a copy of documentation that serves as proof of citizenship and residency, such as a passport or residency card.
  3. A confirmation letter (essentially, a letter of support) stating that all services will be performed outside of the United States. A confirmation letter template (Word doc) is available.
  4. Return the completed form and supporting documents to the Payroll Office via one of the following methods:


Campus Mail:
Payroll Office
Box 359555

US Mail:
Payroll Office
UW Tower, Floor O-2
4333 Brooklyn Avenue NE
Seattle, WA 98195