Employee Workday Help

Life Events

Last updated Monday, April 8, 2024

Certain life events* allow you to change your medical and/or dental coverage. UWHR Benefits must receive your benefit elections within 60 days from the date of the event (your “special open enrollment” window), and any enrollment changes must correspond with your life event.

*Defined in Washington Administrative Code 182-08-198.

If the information on this page conflicts in any way with HCA documentation, the HCA documentation governs.

Marriage or Start of State-Registered Domestic Partnership (SRDP)

You acquire a new dependent(s) due to marriage or the start of a state-registered domestic partnership (SRDP).


Birth or Adoption

You acquire a new dependent(s) due to birth, adoption or when you assume legal obligation for full or partial support prior to adoption.


Loss of Other Coverage

You or your dependent loses other coverage under a group health plan or through health insurance coverage, as defined by HIPAA.


Gain of Other Coverage

  • You gain coverage under a group health plan that is provided by an employer other than the University of Washington, or
  • Your dependent gains coverage under an employer-based group health plan in which they are eligible for the employer contribution.


Dependent Loss of Eligibility (Divorce/Dissolution/Death)

Your dependent no longer meets PEBB eligibility criteria due to divorce, dissolution of state-registered domestic partnership, or death.


Change In Residence

You or your dependent has a change in residence that affects health plan availability: you can change your medical and/or dental plans IF your or your dependent’s current health plan does not provide coverage in your new location.


Dependent Moves To or From the USA

Your dependent loses their health insurance as a result of their having a change in residence either from outside of the USA to within the USA, or from within the USA to outside of the USA.


Change in Dependent Care

  • Your dependent care provider imposes a change in the cost of dependent care, or
  • You change your dependent care provider, or
  • You or your spouse/partner experience a change in the number of qualifying individuals.


Newly Eligible Extended Dependent

You acquire a new dependent due to their becoming eligible as an extended dependent through legal custody or legal guardianship.


Newly Eligible Dependent due to Court Order

A court order, legal guardianship, or national medical support notice requires you to provide insurance coverage for an eligible dependent child.


Medicaid/CHIP, Medicare, or TRICARE Coverage Changes

Refer to the appropriate page for guidance:

Consumer-Directed Health Plan (CDHP) Becomes Unavailable

You or your dependent’s current Consumer-Directed Health Plan (CDHP) becomes unavailable because you or your dependent are no longer eligible for a Health Savings Account (HSA).


Disabled Dependent Turns Age 26

If your dependent child is turning age 26 and you are submitting initial certification for the first timeplease follow these steps within 60 days of your child turning 26:

  1. Download and complete the Employee/Enrollment Change (PDF) form.
  2. Mail or email (preferred) the completed Employee/Enrollment Change form to UWHR Benefits.
  3. Download and complete Sections 1, 2, and 3 of the Certification of a Child with a Disability (PDF) form.
  4. Send the Certification of a Child with a Disability form to your dependent’s medical provider/physician so they can complete Section 4.
  5. Your dependent’s medical provider/physician will return the completed form to you.
  6. Mail the completed Certification of a Child with a Disability form to your health plan, using the contact information provided on page 2 (Section D) of the form. Your health plan should, in turn, send the completed form to the Washington State Health Care Authority (HCA) for review and approval.

Please Note:
The Washington State Health Care Authority (HCA) will need to review and approve your completed Certification of a Child with a Disability form. Approval or denial information will be communicated to you directly from the HCA by a letter mailed to your home address.

You may need to recertify your dependent’s disability with the HCA; the HCA will communicate information about that procedure to you at the mailing address you have listed in Workday.